26.9.07

Been Cooking

My mum comes back from the US tomorrow, after being there for 3 weeks.

I think this period of being alone and not having someone there was good for me. I ended up cooking, entirely on my own, from my own memory.

If you think I am refering to instant mee and all, that wrong! I cooked stuff like chicken curry, chili chicken and some indian veg dishes. Also made pasta that was quite good. Yup, I guess thats the best part of the cooking. I did not cook food that was only edible, I cooked food that was worth-eating! All was learnt under the apprenticeship of my mum.

I guess I don't really like cooking for the sake of cooking, but its more to the fact that I know if I have to, I can cook good food for myself. I think cooking is a life skill, as is driving and swimming, so knowing how to do it and do it well, will serve me well. As for time to cook, whatever you cook should last you for at least 2 meals, to make the time-effort ratio worth-while. If you cook and have it over 3 meals, then you will most likely spend less time then travelling and eating out.

I had home food for maybe half the dinners over this time. I guess from tomorrow onwards, I will return to having majority of dinners at home. I will also learn some of the dishes that I like eating but am not confident of cooking right now. The next step once I have learnt all that I can from my mum is to learn to cook what I like the way I like it. In the end, thats what selfish cooking is about about, cooking food that will make you happy. I guess unlike my mum, I look at other people eating what I cook as a secondary advantage. If they like it, good, if they dont, its their problem! Maybe I will cook something for you all one day... ;)

No comments: