3.12.08

End of camping Nov

November is over together with the 2 camps I went for.

The Woodbadge Residential camp was a single camp. It was pretty much like attending the camp as a scout (not refering to the troop camp in sec 1). Just pitch a tent, do your own cooking, some pioneering, a hike and a campfire to end it.

I guess the thing I will remember most about this camp is the food. It was the best food I have ever eaten in a camp thanks to an aunty (senior citizen) who attended the camp with us. The food we were having for each meal was way better then the catered food.

The other camp I attended was the National Patrol Camp 2008. It has been going on since 1997, but our troop never attended it before, maybe cos we had better things to do or the ALs were to internally focused. Anyways, we got a Silver banding, which means we are above average. I guess what is great is that the ALs had little help in preparing the patrol sent in, the PLs put in the effort to organise the trainings. So kudos to them.

As for myself, I attended the camp as part of the programme department. This was the department that made sure things were running on time and we ran the competitions. There was a competitions committee who planned the scoring and judges were appointed to give scores. The only event I was fully IC of was the backwoodsman competition, which I ran and it went well I guess. Other then that was helping out the main IC. I guess the main thing I picked up from the camp is the importance of having a competent HQ (the other part being operational [on the ground]). The people on the ground depend on the HQ to support them in doing the activities.

Overall both camps were quite slack so they were kind of a holiday.

Yesterday I drove to Malacca to recce the route we will take for the cycling. Will be meeting the participants later today, need to iron out some details, the main 2 being shifting the dates 1 day forward and the other is whether we will have a safety vechicle driver. We are not able to find one right now, so the options is not to have 1 or to rotate among the participants to drive. There are 3 of us who can drive, so if this is the option we choose, I guess I might end up driving for 2 days. See how, maybe will see if the national rover council (our sponsors) could help us solve this problem.

Getting my results tmr, see how that turns out.

No comments: