10.10.07

Riding

Not really a post on anything, maybe on just what I am thinking about the advantages of riding a motorbike.

First, lets talk about the money. So, is it cheaper to ride a motorbike to school? The answer is no, it costs a little more. So how is the number calculated?

1. Petrol ~ The phantom runs around 200km on around 6l of petrol or 34km/l. So, a return trip to school(~40km) consumes less then $2 in petrol. I think the bus fare is around $1.20 one way.
However, the cost of maintainence also needs to be calculated. Cost of road tax, repairs and change of parts, annual check and insurance jacks up the price. Lucky parking if free, mostly. So all of these come to around $40 per month.
So thats around $80 - $85 per month, of course excluding depreciation. Taking a bus would cost around $60 - $70 per mth, including commuting to other places.

2. So if the price is not the main factor, what is? For one thing, riding is the FASTEST average in terms of travelling time. I think driving or taxi maybe faster on good days, but when there a jam, bikes can travel at 60km/hr on the expressway. Also, since I live beside the PIE, which also happens to lead directly to SIM, its damm fast. 25min MAX - the time taken for me to walk out of my gate to the time I step into whatever class. No comparison. You dont know what it feels like to be home 20 mins after a sian class. ;)

3. In addition to being very fast, it is also fun! Other then maybe taking a powerboat or plane and parachuting to school, riding has to be the most fun way to travel. You look forward to going to school, just so you can ride! Its a great feeling, like flying maybe. ;)

4. A moving locker. No need to say more.

5. Detouring. If I want to jog in Macritchie, no prob, just get off at Lornie instead and go. If I need to go elsewhere, eat at subway maybe, go for a haircut, grab a waffle, no prob, its all no prob. The ability to go anywhere and stop anywhere is something even the most efficient transport system cannot provide.

6. The general use of going around. Like when I was driving, could meet my instructor anywhere, cos of the bike. Or when you have to go to ulu places, eg. Changi V or Sarimbun, it would take forever on a bus. Riding has made me impatient, so I dont think I can ever go back to public transport completely!

Having said all the good stuff, there are some bad stuff as well. For example, I am at danger at dying or getting serious anytime. I maybe the safest rider in the world, but that wont protect me when a bus bangs into me or something.
Also bikes dont work well in rain. It does not matter to me on the way back, but if I leave my home when its raining, I dont ride.

So riding is the most efficient mode of transport and the gov would do well to promote it. ;)

No comments: